Tried and Tested: Clippings quilt pattern

I am currently working on this lovely pattern called Clippings which was published in Issue 28 of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine. The pattern is for a giant block which finishes at 24 inches square. I wanted to turn my block in to a baby blanket so I added a 3 inch border.

Clippings WIP front

I didn’t use any wadding in this blanket and instead chose to back it in a cosy flannel fabric for a bit of extra warmth.

Clippings WIP back

You can see some of the sewing lines. In the centre where I did a bit of hand sewing with embroidery thread, just to anchor the centre piece. For the rest I decided to ‘stitch in the ditch’ using a red thread, around the dark fabric. Stitching in the ditch is usually done with a matching thread that will not show, but I wanted the thread to show, the red gives a subtle outline to the pieced design.  I love how it turned out, but it does require very careful stitching and concentration as any wobbling off will be very visible against the white background.

I just need to decide what I am going to do for the binding.

Fabrics used:
Top: Flappy Owl by Copenhagen Print Factory, Owls by Copenhagen Print Factory, Dot in Dots by Copenhagen Print Factory, White Every Day Organic Solids by Clothworks. Back: Twig Fall Tomato by Birch Fabrics.

Happy sewing,

Lisa at The Quilting Bird

Linking up with Bee Social and Sew Cute Tuesday and Freemotion By The River and Fabric Tuesday

Advertisements

New Year Resolutions

making organic flannel baby blanket

Well it’s not really a resolution…I don’t make resolutions, why set yourself up for stress and recriminations! No not a resolution but a decision. I decided to start blogging again. After a break of just over a year it really is time, to make time for the poor neglected blog!

I had a very busy 2015. I am travelling the road of becoming more ‘planet concious’ and wanted to reflect that in my business as well as personal life. In September I launched my own website The Quilting Bird, which you can find on the Shop tab. Currently I am selling organic cotton fabrics, some gorgeous prints for clothing and craft projects. I will shortly be adding organic flannel baby blankets to the shop, you can see me hand finishing them in the picture above.

The feel of the blog may change, I have no plans about how it will go, just gonna let it flow and see where it takes me.

Looking forward to all that 2016 has got for me, and I hope you are too.

Lisa at The Quilting Bird

 

Work In Progress – Lilac Baby Quilt

SAMSUNG CSC

 

This is a quilt I am currently working on, the colours have come out darker than they are in reality…I need to get some lighting sorted out.

I Have given it a really boring name. I am rubbish with choosing names for my quilts. I am considering giving them a series number, like July#1. But then it would not be much of a series as it is unlikely to get past July#3 (I am a slow quilter).

Perhaps the seasons would be better…Spring#5. But that could become confusing if I made a winter weight quilt in April, would I label it a Spring#5 or Winter#5. Hmm…needs more thought.

Back to my work in progress. Continue reading

WIP – Redesigning a fabric panel

SAMSUNG CSC             SAMSUNG CSC

Work In Progress: Picture on the left shows the original fabric panel. Picture on the right shows how it looks today.

I bought this fabric panel (patt 7194, created by Katie Hennagir for Andover Fabrics), last year and then put it away in my fabric collection. I just didn’t know what to do with it. I knew I didn’t just want to put some borders on the panel, but what to do…

A couple of months ago I put the panel up on my design wall and just looked at it for a few days…then a few days more. I was drawn to the circles on the panel, the colour circles, the circles on the tree an toad stool. I had a look in my fabrics and found a red and white polka dot fabric that coordinated with the panel beautifully. I cut the panel in to sections and then inserted the red polka dot strips, they finish at a 1 inch width. I then sewed all the sections back together (rejigged a bit…deliberately of course). I then made the border from blocks (the proper name of which I am unsure) and then added a 2 1/2 inch border in the white background fabric. It will be a cot size quilt when finished. Continue reading