I have finally finished this very pretty baby quilt. I showed you this a few weeks ago when it was just a quilt top, click here to see that post and find out how I used the disappearing nine patch block technique to create the Papillion Baby quilt.
I decided to quilt this in a spiral. I do love spirals, they bring a lovely softness to the hard edges of square blocks. The quilting lines are about half an inch apart, which gives a really lovely crinkle to the fabric. (Yes, everything is lovely today!) The thread I used for the quilting is Mettler silk-finish 100% cotton mercerised, this is a 50 weight thread. I used a lilac and light purple colour that coordinated with the colours in the quilt, the silk finish has a pretty sheen to it which fit well with feel of the quilt.
This is the first time I have used a 50 weight cotton to quilt with and I admit I embarked on this with some worry that the whole thing was going to fall apart before I even finished stitching the first spiral! I put this down to my fear of the secret quilt police, who issued a whole host of dire warnings when I first began quilting. As you can see, I had no need of worry, the thread worked wonderfully, no problems with breakage or thread fatigue in the quilting.
This was also my first time using Mettler threads. I have a whole case of different ranges that I got as a free gift when I bought a new sewing machine at The Festival of Quilts. The case includes cotton quilting and embroidery threads in a variety of thread weights, all of which I am looking forward to trying out.
Definitely worth waiting for a show if you are in the market for a new machine, there are some really great deals to be had.
For the back of the quilt I decided to use a single piece of fabric that was included in the quilt top. I thought about doing a pieced back with some of the left over nine patch blocks, however with the spiral quilting design I thought that a ‘clean’ back would really help the spiral stand out. I think I made the right decision, the spiral adds enough interest to the back of the quilt.
For the filling I have used Hobbs Heirloom wool batting. The finished quilt measures 42 inches x 48 inches (107 cm x 122 cm) All fabrics are quilting weight cotton. Fabric links can be found in this post Lilac Baby.
I love how pretty and feminine this quilt is, the colours are even better when seen by eye.
Lisa at The Quilting Bird