New Year Resolutions

making organic flannel baby blanket

Well it’s not really a resolution…I don’t make resolutions, why set yourself up for stress and recriminations! No not a resolution but a decision. I decided to start blogging again. After a break of just over a year it really is time, to make time for the poor neglected blog!

I had a very busy 2015. I am travelling the road of becoming more ‘planet concious’ and wanted to reflect that in my business as well as personal life. In September I launched my own website The Quilting Bird, which you can find on the Shop tab. Currently I am selling organic cotton fabrics, some gorgeous prints for clothing and craft projects. I will shortly be adding organic flannel baby blankets to the shop, you can see me hand finishing them in the picture above.

The feel of the blog may change, I have no plans about how it will go, just gonna let it flow and see where it takes me.

Looking forward to all that 2016 has got for me, and I hope you are too.

Lisa at The Quilting Bird



Sunday stitching bee

London Modern Quilt Guild

On Sunday we held the 2nd of our stitching sundays, even with the heat it didn’t stop us from switching on the iron, propping up the ironing board and sewing away.  It is fun to be able to sew with friends and chat,  learn a new technique or just be inspired by the wonderful quilts in the room.

fractured quiltSo I thought I’d share a few of the quilts in progress, ShevvyLondon is working on a Fractured quilt.

IMG_4106Danielle is working on a fab rainbow EPP quilt

indian odyssey quiltDorothy was working on her Indian cottons quilt.

Just wish I had taken more photo’s rather than chatting and stitching!  I have one final photo, a sneek preview of a fantastic quilt – see more at Sundays guild meeting.

London Modern Quilt GuildWe are planning another stitching bee in September, do email in if you’d like to join us or speak to Shevvy, Michael or Ruth at…

View original post 15 more words

Work In Progress- Anniversary Photo Quilt

Anniversary Photo QuiltI have very kindly been given permission to share this quilt with you.

It is going to be a wall hanging given as a surprise anniversary gift to his very lovely wife.

The photo’s have been printed onto white cotton poplin fabric using my home inkjet printer. I currently have an Epsom printer which uses pigment ink and I have had some difficulty in getting the ink to set on the fabric. I previously had a printer which used dye based inks and I was able to use ‘bubble jet set’ to set the ink and had some very good results with that. The pigment ink printer does produce more vibrant colours but I would like to make lap size photo quilts which will obviously need to be washed.

Even though this particular quilt will be a wall hanging I did use a fabric medium over the photographs to set them, which has worked, but has also given me a stiff fabric. Not a problem for a wall hanging but I would like to have the flexibility to make useable photo quilts.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can set pigment ink from an inkjet printer please let me know, I will be most grateful.

I am linking up with SewCute hosted by Blossom Heart Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday hosted by My Quilt Infatuation and Bee Social hoseted by Sew Fresh Quilts.

Sew Cute TuesdayNeedle and Thread Thursday 


Lisa at The Quilting Bird

You might also like to take a peek at my Etsy Shop TheQuiltingBird



Work In Progress – Animal Patches Baby Quilt

As I failed miserably to finish the quilt for the Sewvivor 3: Quilters Edition competition (you can read all about my failings here ), I thought I would give you an update on the current state of that quilt.


This is actually the back of the quilt, I am showing you this side because the quilting lines really show up nicely on the white background fabric. I am using a green variegated thread from Superior’s Rainbow range. As I mentioned in a previous post this is a trilobal polyester thread which looks beautiful, but gives my sewing machine terrible trouble. I have had lots of bobbin thread breaks, which seem to be due to the bobbin thread not being wound tightly enough and wrapping around mechanism. (I have a front loading machine which uses a bobbin case.)

Here are a couple of close ups. Continue reading

Sewvivor 3 quilting comp entry…not quite

The auditions for Sewvivor 3: Quilters edition close today. To find out more about this online quilting competition click here 

Here is my entry:


…hmm…this is not the work in progress shot, this is actually how the quilt looks right now. My original blog on sewvivor was called ‘are you up for a quilting challenge’, clearly I am not.

Perhaps it looks better close up…



My quilt, as you can see is unfinished. Continue reading

WIP – Redesigning a fabric panel


Work In Progress: Picture on the left shows the original fabric panel. Picture on the right shows how it looks today.

I bought this fabric panel (patt 7194, created by Katie Hennagir for Andover Fabrics), last year and then put it away in my fabric collection. I just didn’t know what to do with it. I knew I didn’t just want to put some borders on the panel, but what to do…

A couple of months ago I put the panel up on my design wall and just looked at it for a few days…then a few days more. I was drawn to the circles on the panel, the colour circles, the circles on the tree an toad stool. I had a look in my fabrics and found a red and white polka dot fabric that coordinated with the panel beautifully. I cut the panel in to sections and then inserted the red polka dot strips, they finish at a 1 inch width. I then sewed all the sections back together (rejigged a bit…deliberately of course). I then made the border from blocks (the proper name of which I am unsure) and then added a 2 1/2 inch border in the white background fabric. It will be a cot size quilt when finished. Continue reading